____

____

Sunday, January 05, 2014

A Look at "The Black Dahlia" (2006, Brian De Palma)

Fire, Ice, Murder...and Love for Sale
Rating: 8 out of 10 (Above Average)

I saw it back on HBO years ago and liked it for the most part. Upon closer inspection, the story is has a third act that feels rushed and rough around the edges. The murder is awful, but Mia Kirshner (The Crow: City of Angels, Exotica, 24) I've always found darkly gorgeous and she presents the tragic Elizabeth Short in a sympathetic light.

It is a good-looking picture with a neo-noir vibe, but is definitely a period piece of historical fiction. I generally enjoy Josh Hartnett & Aaron Eckhart and the whole cast is solid.

It has evocative qualities such as the old Hollywood era and distinct pieces like the scar on Scarlett Johansson (who is dreamy in this, would love to have her to come home to, as well as Hilary Swank in an unusual dark role), the smoking (in a world that is beginning to frown upon smoking), and the narration that speaks to me from a time period I was not part of.

It is not a great film, but it has the same surreal and atmospheric quality as the rest of De Palma's films I've seen (Carlito's Way, The Untouchables, Dressed to Kill, Mission: Impossible, Scarface) that I can enjoy as part of my movie collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment?