____

____

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

We're the Millers (2013)


Rating: 7 out of 10

Review: After seeing the trailer, I figured it would be a good irreverent comedy. The humor was crude and raunchy at times, but overall felt Kevin Smith-y (which I like). It's a good feeling when one's expectations come through.

What interested me most was Emma Roberts, who I find gorgeous, aside from worrying that she is being type cast as the teenager due to her young appearance despite being 22 years-old. Part of me wished she was playing the stripper, not to take anything away from Jennifer Aniston who pulls a Marisa Tomei and looks fine for her age.

Jason Sudeikis plays a two-bit drug dealer and was impressively good. I don't recall seeing him in anything before, but he played both the drug dealer and tourist father well, fueling every scene with his "family." The awkward romance with the shy kid and the shy other family's kid was cute. Sometimes to get the girl of your dreams, you must go to Mexico in an RV to smuggle out drugs, get bitten by a tarantula (i.e. go viral on YouTube because Miss Roberts recorded it on her phone) and fend off notorious drug kingpins. All of that does wonders for confidence!

The characters were "edgy" and imperfect but still had values. I also loved the "R" rating. Anything less wouldn't have worked for this kind of story. To top it off, the dialogue was cynical, hip, and witty. The blooper reel was also a nice touch. Everything managed to be ridiculous without going full blown stupid. "Naw' what I'm sayin'?"

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed We're The Millers. It's well-paced, never boring, and I think the cast is very talented. Aniston, particulary, has a knack for these type of roles. Good review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment?